The following are the guidelines we follow when adopting animals out as pets. You may download our Adoption Application and complete it if you wish to bring it with you to the shelter.
- We check with the appropriate authorities to verify homeowner status or we obtain approval from your landlord. We do this because one of the top reasons we take in unwanted animals is because the landlord does not allow pets.
- We verify a working relationship with your veterinarian for any current or previously owned pets. This shows us your intent to continue to provide necessary medical attention for your new pet and that you’ll comply with State and Local ordinances.
- Adoption application approvals take between 24-48 hours. We do not do same-day adoptions.
- You’ll be expected to surgically sterilize the new pet (if not already done) in a timely fashion. We do hold a deposit until the procedure is completed. Because we follow-up on this process, we’ll only adopt unsterilized pets within a 50 mile radius.
- We do not adopt to anyone under 18 years of age.
- As a general rule, we do not adopt any pet to be an outside pet. For some of the animals, this is a matter of life and death. Some concessions may be made. We’ll review your application and an inspection of the outside pet living quarters may be required.
- Instead of adopting an animal of your choice for someone, we offer Gift Certificates. The person who will be the caretaker for the rest of the animal’s life should make this personal decision. If adopting a pet for a child where you will be the caretaker, we make occasional exceptions. NO EXCEPTIONS will be made December 15 through December 25.
- We do not adopt out black cats from October 19 to November 1.